Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Jimmy Barnes has asked anti-Islam protesters to stop playing his songs at rallies.

Cold Chisel Singer Jimmy Barnes asks anti-Islam rally groups like Reclaim Australia and the United Patriots Front to stop playing his songs at protests

Protests across Australia took place over the weekend, with clashes between anti-Muslim and anti-racism demonstrators.

Barnes took to his Facebook page acknowledging the use of his music at the rallies by the groups, but saying he did not support them.

The Scotland-born Barnes said in the statement: "If you look at my family you can see we are a multicultural family."

His wife Jane, with whom he has four children, was born in Thailand.

"It has come to my attention that certain groups of people have been using my voice, my songs as their anthems at rallies," he wrote.

"None of these people represent me and I do not support them.

"I only want to say the Australia I belong to and love is a tolerant Australia. A place that is open and giving.

"It is a place that embraces all sorts of different people, in fact it is made stronger by the diversity of its people."

The singer is known for his pub-rock classics including Working Class Man, and was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame in 2005.

No comments: