Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Dave Oliver ACTU Secretary bids Farewell

Dear friends,

For thirty years I have had the privilege and honour to serve the great Australian union movement, including five of those as Secretary of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU).
I am extremely proud to have spent my working life improving and protecting living standards for workers and their families.

Now is the time for renewal at the ACTU, with a new generation of highly skilled, diverse and motivated leaders each of whom are capable of fulfilling a critical leadership role.

This has not been an easy decision for me. I have taken it because the time is right for both the movement and myself.

I have enjoyed enormously working with both political and industrial labour leaders in developing and implementing policies that promote the dignity and rights of working families.

The time has now come for me to spend more time with my family.

My family has always supported me and now it’s time for me to support my family.

The union movement has always been greater than any individual person.

It has been so for more than 150 years and will continue to be one of the most critical institutions that will fight against inequality and stop Australia going down the path of the United States.

In solidarity,

Dave

No comments: