Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Queensland: Police Union bags Campbell Newman

Queensland Police Union president Ian Leavers has called Premier Campbell Newman a liar over the promise of funding for an anti-violence campaign.

Mr Leavers said the Newman Government last year expanded its Safe Night Out precincts from three to 15 and promised $20 million in funding to administer the strategy.

Safe Night Out precincts aim to reduce anti-social behaviour in popular night spots throughout Queensland.

Mr Leavers says despite the promise, the police force has not received one cent.

"I've been trying for over nine months to get this funding," Mr Leavers said.

"I had a meeting with Campbell Newman, he promised me $20 million to fund the 15 (precincts) across the state, and Campbell Newman looked me in the eye and he lied to me.

"I'm a serving police officer. If you're going to lie to a police officer, you'll lie to anyone."

Mr Leavers said the Safe Night Precincts are stretching police resources.

"Police from Mackay go to Airlie Beach. To staff the Valley, police are coming from as far away as Petrie," he said.

"It is starving the local stations. We now have one patrol crew to look after 50,000 residents."

Mr Leavers said he had raised the funding issue with Police Minister Jack Dempsey but did not receive a response.

"I know in the Newman Government, Campbell makes the decisions - other people don't get to make decisions," Mr Leavers said.

"Just come out and be honest and say look, we've made a mistake, we can't afford it.

"Campbell's done some great things, don't get me wrong. There are other things he hasn't delivered and I just ask for honesty.

"You've got to remember your commitments and be honest to the people of Queensland.

"Don't promise me something and then not deliver because the Safe Night precincts are in a world of hurt as we speak.

"It would've been easier to say I'm going to increase it to 15 precincts but there's no extra funding, that's the way it is."


No comments: