Monday, August 22, 2011

Jones radio controlled demo fails again

Time's up Alan!
With tens of thousands of dollars of free advertising the shock jocks predicted thousands of trucks would block Canberra. 300 turned up, so Jones invented the story that the police had stopped the convoys, a comment that shows how disappointed he was with his radio controlled demo. His timekeepers are wondering if this if the right time to leave.  Jones used his control of the stage to whip up the small crowd into a mob attack on a journalist who asked him a question he didn't like ...  

Alan Jones fired up a crowd of protesters to turn on a Herald reporter today after she asked if he had been paid to appear at the rally in Canberra.  Journalist Jacqueline Maley said Jones looked outraged when she asked him if he had accepted a fee to be at the rally, made up of protesters who converged on Canberra in trucks, caravans and cars.  

He angrily asked her what kind of a question was that and who did she think she was. "He said I should be ashamed of myself, that I was a 'grub' and asked me how I could look at myself in the mirror. He carried on in that vein for a while.  "I said I thought it was a legitimate question. He said 'No, of course I haven't [accepted a fee].' He continued to abuse me."I thanked him for answering the question and walked away."  

But Jones continued to yell after her, attracting the attention of others in the crowd, who began to look at her. "He yelled that I should go away, that I had no right to be there. A woman standing next to me started yelling at me, saying 'Get out of here! You've got no right to be here!'"  Maley said that when a journalist colleague asked the woman why, she replied: "Because she's a leftie!" 

Jones then yelled across the crowd for Maley to repeat her name, which she did. "Some members of the crowd yelled at me to get up on stage and explain myself, which I declined to do."  

Jones then took the microphone and addressed the crowd again (listen to the audio above). He told them that Jacqueline Maley from the Sydney Morning Herald had just asked him whether he had accepted a fee to attend.

There was booing and some in the crowd yelled at Maley, who said: "I found the whole experience extremely intimidating - having your name yelled out by Alan Jones in such a hostile way, to such a hostile crowd, who had already been whipped into a frenzy, and which contained some very extremist elements was frightening."

No comments: