Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Anti Slavery Taskforce





At the last General Meeting of BMUC there was a lot of enthusiasm for supporting the work of the Anti Slavery Taskforce and United Voice, including the training of BMUC members on how to identify, approach and assist potentially exploited workers. I'm writing to you to follow up on that. Can you advise on the best way to approach putting this in action?

There was also a motion passed to write to the Escarpment Group to "Ask about the ratio of local workers:temporary visa workers employed and their policy regarding the employment of local workers." I thought it would be advisable to check with you first to ensure such a letter wouldn't negatively interfere with the work being done with affected Escarpment Group workers by the Anti Slavery Taskforce and/or United Voice.

I may have already approached you about the above matters - I thought I had but can't find any record of doing so - so if this is a repeat of a previous communication I apologise. The intent of this email is to make sure I've done what I was supposed to do, not to hassle you. 

The members of BMUC who attended Politics in the Pub found your suggestions and information extremely useful and informative. Please let me know of any anti slavery campaigns that could use the support of BMUC.

Deb

In Unity

Debra Smith
Secretary

No comments: