Tuesday, July 23, 2019

BMUC Susan Templeman Speech

Dear Deb

I enclose a short speech I was able to make on penalty rates and employment practices in Parliament yesterday.

In the wake of the revelations by the SMH about the employment practices at the Escarpment Group, I wanted to ensure that Blue Mountains Unions & Community was aware of my position on these serious matters.

Firstly, I am very pleased to see the work by journalist Anna Patty to expose the allegations.

While there have been rumours for some time, no one was able to bring to me a single piece of evidence, and it is a real tribute to the work of a couple of determined individuals and 14 months work by an investigative reporter that someone was willing to go public.

I also note that both BMUC and I raised concerns with United Voice over a period of time.

At this time, it’s obviously important that due process is followed, and I look forward to the findings being made public by Fair Work.

I have requested to be briefed by Fair Work, but I am not confident that that will occur.

If the actions by the employer are found to be illegal, then they should face the full force of the law.

If the actions are not found to be illegal, then questions must be asked about the adequacy of existing laws to protect all workers from exploitation, whether Australian or here on work visas.

Regardless of the outcome, I expect this case will yet again highlight the inadequacy of current employment protections and provide more reason for the rules to change.

Kind regards

Susan

Susan Templeman
Federal Member for Macquarie
P: 45738222

No comments: