Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pensioner Rubbishes Abbott Budget


Abbott's greatest critic on Wednesday morning came from an unexpected quarter and left the Prime Minister speechless.

During one of a raft of breakfast television appearances, on the Ten network's Wake Up, Mr Abbott was confronted by an elderly woman, named only as Vilma, furious about changes to the age pension, who responded to his explanations on broken promises with: ''I have never heard such rubbish in all my life.''

"Why don't you leave the pensioners alone? If we pull the belt any tighter we’re going to choke to death," Vilma said. ''Why are you picking on me?
"I challenge you: come out and meet some of the pensioners, they’ll tell you a little thing or two."

Appearing distinctly uncomfortable, Mr Abbott told the program's hosts that he'd been given a piece of her mind.

"Fair enough, that’s your right in a democracy, to be able to tell the prime minister exactly what you think of him," he said.

He then suggested to Vilma that it was obvious that she had not voted for the Coalition, to which the indignant Vilma replied "Excuse me, it's got nothing to do with who I vote for and who I don't vote for".

''Why are you picking on pensioners?'' she asked the Prime Minister.
Mr Abbott then said: "This is a fair budget, everyone is doing his or her bit, including, dare I say, politicians."

Vilma laughed and replied: "You’re a comedian, sir you're a comedian."

No comments: