Wednesday, April 13, 2011

NSW election: Green from Orange blocks Hansen

Jeremy Buckingham
New State Parliamentary Member, Jeremy Buckingham, says he will fulfill his term as an Orange City Councillor.

The Greens candidate was elected to the second last seat on the Legislative Council when preferences where distributed yesterday.

Councillor Buckingham says he will continue to live in Orange and represent Central West issues in State Parliament.

He says he will finish his term as a councillor, but does not plan to seek re-election.

"I made a commitment to the people of Orange to serve them , I think I can do both roles," he said.

"I'll be raising the issues of Orange and the whole of country New South Wales and the Central West in parliament.

"I think that in the coming months that being tapped into my local community through council will be of enormous benefit."

He will join four other Greens candidates, 19 members of the Coalition, 14 from Labor, and two each from the Christian Democrats and the Shooters and Fishers party in the Chamber.

Councillor Buckingham says he will fulfill his current term on the City Council and then stand down.

"I don't think I could undertake both roles diligently into the future so this will certainly be my last term at Orange City Council but, I'll continue to live in the Central West, live in Orange and represent the concerns of my community in the parliament."

No comments: